Free Crochet Pattern – Zero the Ghost Dog

Beginning the holiday spirit for me is to watch or think about watching Tim Burton’s Nightmare Before Christmas.  In honor of that I offer my pattern to make a crocheted version of Zero.

1014001401

**Note** the original base pattern for this item belongs to Knitted Toy Box and is offered for free so they get full credit.  I modified the pattern to be a crochet format rather than knitted and added a few additions but because the core of the project is not mine I will not sell the pattern.  It just doesn’t seem right to me.

So here it is:

Materials:

• Worsted weight yarn or any type but be sure that the weight of all colors used is the same
  • Size I (5.50mm) crochet hook
  • Tapestry needle
  • Toy Stuffing

Gauge: Not really important in this project

Design Notes: This pattern is worked flat then seamed it is not worked in rounds

This pattern has not really been  tested other than by me so please let me know if you have any questions or find any errors  at meg-ann@yarnydoom.com

Directions:

Body

Chain 2 – 2 sc in the second chain from the hook
2. and every even row -  Sc straight
3. 2 Sc in each stitch (4 sts)
5. inc, Sc in the next 2, inc (6 sts)
7. inc, Sc in the next 4, inc (8 sts)
9. inc, Sc in the next 6, inc (10 sts)
11. inc, Sc in the next 8, inc (12 sts)
13. inc, Sc in the next 10, inc (14 sts)
15. inc, Sc in the next 12, inc (16 sts)

Finish off

Repeat steps 1-15 without finishing then continue below

16. Sc straight attaching the additional point to the end of the row (32 sts)
17 – 23 Sc straight (32 sts)
24. dec, Sc until last 2 st, dec (30sts)
25. Sc straight
26. Repeat rows 24-25 until 10 sts remain (22 rows all together)
48. dec 5 times (5 sts)
49 – 51.  Sc straight
52 . dec, sc, dec (3 sts)
53 -56.  Sc straight
57. dec, sc  (2 sts)
58 – 61. Sc straight
62. dec last 2 stitches together (1 st)
63 – 65. Sc straight

Finish off

**Suggestion on sc with short rows:  If you chain 1 at the turn you can then do your sc in the chain one bump at the end of the row and make the line straighter **

1209001453 1209001453a 1209001453b

Head

Ch 2. 2 Sc in the 2nd chain from the hook (or magic loop)
1. inc 2x (4 sts)
2. Sc Straight
3. inc in each stitch (4x) (8 sts)
4 – 23. Sc Straight (19 rows)
24. *sc in the next 2, inc* repeat 2 times, sc 2 (10 sts)
25. Sc Straight
26. *sc in next 2, inc*repeat 3 times, sc (13 sts)
27. Sc Straight
28. *sc in next 3, inc* repeat 3 times, sc (16 sts)
29. Sc Straight
30. *sc , inc* repeat 8 times (24 sts)
31. Sc Straight
32. *sc in next 4, inc* repeat 4 times, sc 4 (28 sts)
33 -35. Sc Straight 3 rows
36. *sc in next 4, dec* repeat 4 times, sc 4 (24 sts)
37. Sc Straight
38. *sc in next 2, dec* repeat 6 times (18 sts)
39. Sc Straight
40. *sc, dec* repeat 6 times (12 sts)
41. Sc Straight
42. *dec* repeat 6 times (6 sts)
43. Sc Straight

Cut  a tail of yarn approx 6” and use a needle to pull through the remaining  stitches and pull tightly. Use the yarn tail to start joining all row  ends using mattress stitch until half way down the head. Stuff the ball  of the head and then continue to mattress stitch the row ends right up  to the chain row and then stuff the rest of the head/nose. Pull  the yarn through the first 2 sc and  fasten off and then weave in the  ends.

Ears ( make 2)

Chain 7, sc in the second chain till the end (6 sts)
1 – 19. Sc Straight  for 19 rows
20. *dec* 3 times (3 sts)
21 – 23. Sc Straight

Cut  a tail in the yarn approx 5” long and use a yarn needle to pull through  the end sc to make a point. Use the remaining yarn tail to join the row  ends up until the cast on stitches, and then sew onto the head.

Nose **this item worked in rounds**
2 sc in magic loop
1. Increase all stitches (4 sts)
2. Inc, sc, inc, sc (6 sts)
3. inc, sc in next 2, inc, sc 2 (8 sts)
4 .Sc Straight
5. dec, sc in next 2, dec, sc 2 (6 sts)
6. dec, sc, dec, sc (4 sts)
7. *dec* times 2 (2 st)

Finish off.  You can stuff the nose if you would like to I did not find a need for it.  Embroider a small pumpkin face on the nose and attach. (attach a stem if you would like using a smaller hook and chain 4 sl down the back of the chain and add to the top of the pumpkin)

Lower Jaw (make 2 one in white and one black)
Ch 2, 1 sc in 2nd chain(1 st)
1 – 3. Sc Straight
4. sc 3x in the one stitch (3 sts)
5 -7. Sc Straight
8. inc, sc, inc (5 sts)
9 – 10.Sc Straight
11. inc, sc in next 3, inc (7 sts)
12 – 13. Sc Straight
14. inc, sc in next 5, inc (9 sts)
15. Sc Straight

Finish off

Underbelly
Ch 9, Sc in second chain from the hook till the end (8 sts)
1. Sc straight
2. Sc, inc, sc in next 4, inc, sc (10 sts)
3. Sc Straight
4. Sc, inc, sc in next 6, inc, sc (12)
5 – 13 . Sc Straight
14. sc, dec, sc in next 6, dec, sc (10 sts)
15. Sc Straight
16. sc, dec, sc in next 4, dec, sc (8 sts)
17. Sc Straight
18. sc, dec, sc in next 2, dec, sc (6 sts)
19. Sc Straight

Finish Off

Finishing:

Stitch the Underbelly to the body about 2 rows back from where you joined the point in the front at row 16.  Stuff before finishing and weaving ends in.  Attach head to body at roughly the same position as underbelly on the top side.  To attach the lower jaw place the black section on top of the white and stitch together with white around the outside edge then attach to the bottom of the head out from the neck in a position that looks comfortable.  Ears attach to the back of the head.  You can use felt circles for eyes or embroider then or use the following pattern for simple black circles and attach those

Eyes (see notes above optional)

6 sc in magic loop in next round *sc, inc* till the end then finish off leaving tail to attach it to the head

Here is a PDF copy of the pattern if you would rather – Zero the Ghost Dog crochet.pdf

As always Have fun, Give credit where credit is due, Let me know if you have any issues with it and I will get it corrected, and please don’t sell the pattern as I haven’t either. I hope you enjoy it.  Feel free to post the finished items either on here or the Ravelry page for the pattern.  I look forward to seeing them – till then back to the yarn with me :D

This entry was posted in fandom, Free Pattern, movies, patterns. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Free Crochet Pattern – Zero the Ghost Dog

1. Gabrielle says:

Oh goodness! I love you for posting this! I’ve been trying to make my own Zero with little success. Thanks a million!

2. Sam J. says:

Hey, I just thought I should tell you that on the Nightmare Before Christmas Zero pattern a part is messed up. On the lower jaw, R11. it should be 3 sc not 2 sc.

• Meg-Ann says:

Thank you – it has since been corrected :D

• Elizabeth says:

i dont get the pattern at all for the lower jaw and the body pattern doesnt make sense at all on why i have to do # 1-15 finish it off and start all over and continue with the rest, that was kind of a waist..please help me on this i do not understand your patterns

• Meg-Ann says:

there are 2 points in the front (the section that is meant to look like his front legs) the points themselves are 15 rows each. So you will finish off one of them completely and when you start row 16 you will crochet across both points to a total of 32 stitches then continue on make sense?

As for the jaw section. You make 2 one in white and one in black then are then are attached to the bottom of the head together. So you will sew the white and the black pieces together and then connect them to the head so that you can see him like his mouth is open

3. Sam J. says:

Awesome pattern though. I love it.

4. Peg Stafford says:

Thank you for your post. I know my guys will enjoy stiching this together after I do the crocheting. We are making a Special Haunted House at our Day Program. Thanks Again

5. Pingback: D E F E C T I V E G E E K S » Blog Archive » Halloween Craft – Nightmare Before Christmas

6. Amanda says:

I made this for my best friend and she LOVED it. She’s a big fan of the movie :) Thanks for the pattern

7. gretch says:

maybe i’m just slow, but i cant figure out how to attach the belly to the body. help please

• Meg-Ann says:

The best way to explain it is one row after you join the 2 points (what would be row 17) center it with the point that you joined the second triangle point as that will look like the front “feet” when you finish. If you need more let me know and I can post some pictures if it will help.

8. Randi Kristin Jespersen says:

Thank you for the pattern!! Loved it!!! He`s a finished and happy Zero :)

9. Jamie says:

I have messed with this pattern and have redone it several times I do not understand on the body going from 16 sts to 32 sts and anything to do with the points because I can’t see what points you mean. Please help

• Meg-Ann says:

Basically what is happening is you are making the 2 separate points into one main section. The points that I mean are the triangle shapes that you have been making in rows 1 to 15. So on row 16 you have one point that is finished and one that still has the yarn attached to it. You crochet across the 16 stitches on the point with the live yarn on it you then just crochet the next 16 stitches from the finished point. I hope it helps

10. Lindsey says:

My daughter has a pumpkin contest at school every year. Last year she did tinkerbell and got 1st place this year she decided to do jack from nightmare before Christmas. I always make a prop to go with her pumpkin for example with tink I made a Pom po
    Ball blaze ( the lighting bug ) to go with her pumpkin. This year I have used your pattern to make zero. The compatetion is on oct 26 th I will let you know what place she gets but thank you for the pattern it was easy for me to make and she is sooooo excited

11. Tricia says:

Hi I am working on this pattern for my daughter for Christmas. I mad a mistake and made the head portion in rounds but it worked out great. I am just at the ear section now. Thank you for the pattern :)

12. M Rosa says:

Good night.
    I love your Zero, but I have problems to mount it.

Could you put more pictures to understand it better?
    Profile, upside down, from behind.

Thank you!!!
    ________________
    Buenas noches.
    Me encanta tu Zero, pero tengo problemas para montarlo.

¿Podrías poner más fotos para entenderlo mejor?
    De perfil, boca abajo, por detrás.

Gracias!!!

13. Kitty Jean Holmes says:

Wonderful!!! Just the picture had me feeling better!!!

14. tania says:

i am so excited to find this pattern to make for my sister – thank you for posting this!!
    but i am having a couple issues i hope you can help with:
    1. after doing the stitching and then re-doing the math for the Body section, i end up with the decreasing getting to “10 stitches” at row 44 (not 48). is it possible there is an error in your pattern here?
    2. i cannot figure out exactly how to position the Underbelly on to the Body section – are you supposed to stitch the 2 pieces together along the outside edges? could you possibly post photos of the bottom?
    thanks again!

15. karen nipperus says:

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern.
    I am now trying to make my Zero.
    i am a big fan of Jack Skelington and zero

16. Brandy L. says:

Love this! Thanks for sharing it. You wouldn’t happen to have the pattern for Jack and Sally? My daughter is pregnant with her first child and “The Nightmare before Christmas” is the theme she wants do to do the nursery in but we are having a lot of trouble finding patterns so finding this one really helps!

17. Connie says:

I am having trouble trying to figure out ow to attach the under belly can u send pictures how to attach it I’m going nuts trying to put it all together thanks and I love this pattern my grandbaby and daughter love the nightmare before Xmas

18. Allison says:

I’m new to this…but I know all the stitches. ..I’m confused at the beginning of the pattern on row 2…

19. Phyllis says:

Thank you for the pattern on Zero. I have made 2 and the people I made them for has loved them. Instructions are very clear to understand.
    thanks